Instructor: Tamara Miller, PsyD
People consistently report feeling a lack of support from family, friends, and even therapy providers when experiencing pet bereavement. This lack of perceived social support is characteristic of “disenfranchised grief,” which can result in situations where survivors do not believe they have a right to grieve.
Treating Grief after the Loss of a Petis an Introductory level course providing therapists with a foundational knowledge in pet bereavement therapy. This webinar provides a comprehensive understanding of the human-animal dyad, and helps elucidate the grief response that people experience following pet loss. The findings of recent research regarding pet bereavement and grief therapy were used to design a pet-bereavement program for therapists to use with individuals after the loss of a pet. This six-session intervention Therapy After the Loss of a Pet(TALP) integrates psychoeducation for pet loss, emotional expression work, cognitive behavioral therapy and coping skills in order to support an adaptive grief experience for the specific nature of grief after the loss of a pet. Therapists will be able to utilize skills learned in this webinar to confidently provide therapy to individuals struggling with pet bereavement.
Elevate You CE is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Elevate You CE maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
The great news is that most states allow Licensed Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists to gain credits from APA approved sponsors. If you are unsure if your state does, just reach out and we will let you know.
- List three facts which demonstrate the human-animal bond.
- Define disenfranchised grief and explain the impact of disenfranchised grief on pet bereavement.
- Select three interventions that can be used to help individuals struggling with grief after the loss of a pet, and explain how each can be used to target a factor that impacts pet bereavement.
- What is the human-animal bond?
- Grief trajectories and pet bereavement
- Disenfranchised grief and its impact on grievers
- Session by session demonstration of Therapy After the Loss of a Pet (TALP)
- Taking care of yourself while taking care of others
Developed by: Tamara Miller, PsyD